Fiance Visas & Proposed Civil Partner Visas

FIANCE VISAS & PROPOSED CIVIL PARTNER VISAS – as the non-European fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you must obtain a fiance visa before travelling to the UK to get married or undergo a civil partnership ceremony (you cannot apply from inside the UK). You must also marry your fiance or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival. You can then apply to switch into the category of spouse visa or civil partner visa if you intend to stay.

You must satisfy the criteria for a fiance visa under the Immigration Rules, including suitability, relationship, financial and English language requirements. If you do not intend to marry or undergo a civil partnership ceremony, or to do so within 6 months, then you must apply for an unmarried partner visa. If you want to get married here but do not intend to stay for more than 6 months then you should apply as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership. For more information, see our Visitor Visas page.

If you’re not sure whether a fiance/proposed civil partner visa is the correct visa type for your situation, you can find out quickly by using our Visa Wizard.

Enquire now
Speak directly to a lawyer